Match Reports category listing 2 | Buccaneers Rugby Football Club Athlone

. . . . .

U18 Buccaneers edge Creggs in Forwards Tussle

 Satisfying U18 League Win v Creggs

Buccaneers had to win ugly in a hard fought Connacht League U18s league game at Dubarry park on Sunday. Played in very poor conditions, it was always going to be a game dominated by forward exchanges, and Buccaneers edged it on a scoreline of 19 - 10.

First half tries from wing Jamie O'Keefe and lock Cian Irwin were converted by returning outhalf Luke Carty. Creggs response in the first half was a penalty but both teams put in a huge effort and with mistakes a plenty in the difficult conditions, Buccaneers controlled the game better to lead at half time on a scoreline of 14 - 3.

  The second half brought a very determined Creggs team to the fore and an early converted try left Buccaneers with a slender 4 point advantage. Both teams traded possession and dominance in a hard fought encounter, before Jamie O'Keefe scored a try in the dying minutes. It came off the back of a trademark cross field kick from Carty which was superbly gathered by Ross Flanagan who offloaded to O Keefe to score in the corner.

 Buccaneers were the better team over the 70 minutes but only marginally so and it was a sweet win, reversing the result of a year ago down in Creggs. In the forwards, Calum Turley was excellent all day and Brian Collins had his best game to date. Prop Conor Kelly also had a fine game which is encouraging after a long injury lay off.

 In the backs, Browne and Carty combined well and ran proceedings. O'Keefe was clinical for both tries and Dylan Farrelly showed his versatility combining  a strong showing at centre with his throwing duties into the lineout.

 Buccaneers now travel to Connemara before the last league game of the season at home to Corinthians before the Christmas break.

 Team : C Kelly, J Berry, C Cleary, B Collins, C Irwin, D Ryan, C Turley,  R Flanagan, P Browne, L Carty, J O'Keefe, D Farrelly, J Wentzel, B Muzengenza, P Daly, D McGlynn, W O'Meara, M Burnell


Courageous and Spirited performance by Buccaneers U16

Buccaneers U16s put in a tremendous performance against League leaders Galwegians in a wind swept Dubarry Park.

 Buccaneers started off playing against the wind and conceded a try early on,however they rallied and a trendous driving maul resulted in Darren Tuohy crossing for a great try.

 Buccs went in at half-time trailing 10-5 but had the strong wind in the second half.Galwegians kept control of the ball for long periods at the start of the second half,bur persistent pressure by Buccs resulted in a great score by No 8 James Kelly which was converted by Michael Hanley.

 Despite great pressure from Buccaneers in the final quarter,Galwegians held on for a slim 15-12 victory .

 Best for Buccaneers in the forwards were Darren Tuohy and James Kelly,while in the backs Michael Hanley,Niall Murray and Shea Henry stood out.

Buccs: Artio Obono,Darren Tuohy Captain,Robert Slevin.Ted Brosnan,Eoghan Kenny,Adam Murray,Aaron O' Reilly,James Kelly,Max Feehan,Michael Hanley,Mel Mullooley,Niall Murray,Donnacha Gately,Anthony Lynch and Shea Henry.

Replacements:Patrick Henry,David Gavin and Jack Nolan


Buccaneers U14 Sharks deliver an excellent win away to Creggs

 Creggs v Buccaneers  Under 14 league

Date January 18 th. 2015

Score Creggs 7 Buccaneers 24

The recent memory of the snow lay on the fields surrounding the Creggs pitch but this did not affect Buccaneers banishing the memory of last week’s defeat and bouncing back with an excellent performance against Creggs, scoring four tries and winning a competitive game by 24 points to 7.

  The midland team stated the game at pace and immediately put pressure on the Creggs try line, the home team defended several attempts and managed to turn over the ball each time and clear. Eventually Bucanears  made the pressure count from a pre played moved from the training ground, the move was ran from the back of the scrum with Jack Scouler taking the ball in hand and he drove for the line shoving off the many attempts to bring him down and powered over for the opening score. The resulting conversion was narrowly missed leaving the score Creggs 0 to Buccaneers 5

  Creggs showed real fighting spirit and raised their game immediately, their number 10 showed good vision and had kicked an excellent punt into space which was chased down well and from the resulting ruck they turned over possession, the ball was fed back again to the out half and he drove a sublime kick across the pitch which was taken on the full by the winger and he went over for an easy try under the posts, Creggs converted the resulting kick leaving the score Cregss 7 to Buccaneers 5.

  Buccanears themselves then demonstrated their own fighting spirit and the forwards showed excellent aggression with Even Gallagher, Dean Buckley, Chas Alozie, Martin Fallon and Robbert Muldoon Owen Slattery, Shane Green and Jack Scouler continually breaking the gain line and supporting each other well on every carry made, this continual effort was beginning to show up gaps in the Creggs line defence and shortly before half time Darrgh Murray broke free and with what seemed like half the Creggs defence hanging on to him he still thundered over the line for what was an excellent individual try.

  Half time allowed all teams to regroup with the score standing at Creggs 7 to Buccaneers 12.

  The second half remained very competitive but Buccaneers showed that extra line speed and were much quicker in loose play and as the game opened up, the back row were much more prominent in the game with excellent hands been shown by Leo McFarlen, Darragh Murray, John Why, Conor Larkin, Lorcan Wither, Dan Reynolds, Even Slattery and Paddy , it was not long before a flowing back row move delivered the ball out to Even Slattery who showed Olympic speed that Usain Bolt would have been proud of and Even went over for a deserved try in the corner, the resulting conversion was missed and the score now stood Creggs 7 to Buccaneers 17.

  Buccaneers continued to dominate and in another well worked play through the back row, Conor Larkin took the ball at pace with a beautiful reversed angle run that cut right through the Creggs defensive line and he touched down under the posts for the try, the conversion was duly despatched leaving the final score Creggs 7 to Buccaneers 24.

  The second half also saw some switches in the team line up with Leo McFalone  coming on and returning to his normal scrum half position and Evan Slattery returning to his accustomed full back role, Ethan Connolly came on as prop and Kevin Horan and Ronan Hanley coming into the back row, all performed really well..

  Team: Even Gallagher, Dean Buckley, Chas Alozie, Martin Fallon, Robert Muldoon, Owen Slattery, Shane Greene, Jack Scouler, Even Slattery, Darragh Murray, John Why, Conor Larkin, Lorcan Wither, Dean Reynolds, Paddy

  Bench all used:  Ethan Connolly, Leo McFarlane, Kevin Horan, Ronan Hanley


U13's Live up to the Hype.

Magic Performance by Buccaneers U13 v Carrig on Shannon.

It has been said on two previous occasions to watch this space and with 5 tries and three conversions the Bucc’s U13’s have most definitely come of age for their first win away from home. A storming start, which took Carrick-on-Shannon completely by surprise, scoring two fantastic individual tries from players Kyle Blackweir and Natanial O’Neill which set the tone for the rest of the 1st half.

  Strong running, great tackling and pure determination to win were the ingredients needed to put the home team to the sword. Captained again by Deema Sheehan who lead by example. With his pack under severe pressure from a much larger Carrick 8 the Bucc’s forwards were able to get quick clean ball back to Mikey Graham who was selected to start again at scrum half after his sterling performance last week against Westport. Ben O' Carroll partnered Natanial O’Neill in the Centre and proved that he is the most versatile player on the park and is key to the future success of this team.

  Ruairdhi Fallon again starting at Fly Half allowed his backs make clean line breaks all afternoon, his handling and kicking ability is improving each week and I have no doubt this young player will go from strength to strength throughout his playing career. He, along with Gavin Daly who switched to flanker for this match put in what can only be described as monumental tackles to prevent two certain tries. If there is one part of this teams game that has improved it is most definitely their tackling ability. Wings Luke O’Rourke and Conor Waters who came on for injured Adam Burke had little sight of the ball all day but  were in the thick of battle and their defensive duties were second to none. Tom Shine and Fionann Henry who both missed last week’s game against Westport were excellent all day and will no doubt be certain starters over the course of the season if they keep playing and training as well as they have been.

The second half saw some fantastic individual runs from players such as Ronan Flanagan, Sam Fogarty Koranato Kirpati and  Dermot Carey. But with any side so far ahead at half time the mind can sometimes wander and with only 10 minutes gone Carrick put two excellent scores on the board converting one. Bucc’s for the first time in the match were on the back foot. Held up in their own 22 for some time, it took the Bucc’s Fly half to clear their lines and slowly but surely push the home team back up the pitch. With good rucking and clean ball Martin Donnelly was able to charge through the Carrick Defence on two separate occasions and score two hard worked tries which were both converted by Fallon.

  Another away match next week the last of 2014, although busy weekends on the lead up to Christmas the coaching staff are very confident that with a full squad they can end the year on a high and go into 2015 with sights set firmly on winning something.

 Final Score 12-31

Christmas comes early, Excellent Buccaneers Display Delivers Home Win !

Buccaneers v Westport Under 14 league

Date December 13th 2014

Score Buccaneers 29 Westport 0

Arguably Buccaneers best display of the season deliveries an early Christmas present to the young Under 14’s as they score five tries at home against a visiting Westport side.  

Both sides started sluggishly, but you could see Buccaneers beginning to gradually dominate the possession, the forwards and backs were putting together some lovely phased play however the move would often break down, this was due to a very stout defensive performance from Westport and also probably the very cold conditions on the day made handling difficult.

Eventually the pressure did tell and three tries came within quick succession, the first try came from excellent back play, good hands and a running moving resulting in a try for Even Slattery in the corner.

The second try came from the forward pack, Buccaneers had worked a position just to the right of the posts Robert Muldoon picked the ball from the back of the ruck and made for the try line, several Westport players attempted to stop him but Robert showed his power and strength and grounded the ball well.

The third try showed Darragh Murray in top form, making a break from centre field, and once through the gap he ran for the try line with the Westport defence trying in vain to get across to stop him.

Half time gave a chance for the teams to regroup with the score Buccaneers 15 to Westport 0 no conversions had been made.

The second half started with Buccaneers again dominating possession and territory, and it did not take long for the tries to come, the backs were now showing supreme confidence and Buccaneers were running the ball at every opportunity resulting in a fine try for Conor Larkin.

The last try came from a floated kick towards the Westport corner flag, Jack Scouler ran the ball down but did not make a clean grounding however an infringement was adjudged for shirt pulling and a penalty try was given.

Two conversions were made in the second half by Leo McFarlene and Michael Byrne

Westport to there credit showed a never say die attitude and for the last five minutes put real pressure on the Buccaneers line however the midland side were not giving up any points on this day and held absolutely firm to the close.

Buccaneers played some excellent rugby, with the back row showing great hands and moved the ball with speed and accuracy, the forwards supported and cleaned well and this gave the scrum half Leo McFarlene room to link play at pace. Everyone upped their game today and played well.Special mention needs to be made of Martin Fallon and Robert Muldoon who both showed good controlled  aggression throughout the match and this makes a big difference when the forwards in the team play to that level and intensity.

Team: Josh Dunican, Dean Buckley, Ethan Connolly, Martin Fallon,  Robert Muldoon, Michael Lynch, Shane Greene, Jack Scouler, Leo McFarlane, Darragh Murray, John Why, Alex Cleary, Conor Larkin, Even Slattery, Jack Martin

Bench all used: Julian Devany, Killian Fallon-Myers, Michael Byrne

Buccaneers U13’s Deliver Their First Victory

After 2 months of hard work and near misses, Buccs U13’s hard work has finally paid off and recorded their first win against a very strong Mullingar 15. It is now blatantly obvious to all who turned up to support this team that the future looks very bright indeed.

 Right from the kick off Bucc’s took the game to Mullingar, recording the first try of the game after only 10 mins. Some quick ball by scrum half Ben O’ Carroll to his fly have Ruairdhi Fallon who managed to guide the ball to his centres with precision and speed, by the time winger Adam Burke got hold of the ball the Mullingar team knew they were going to have a long day. Burke showed perfect speed and agility to round his man and take the ball into the breakdown just short of the of the Mullingar line. From there Kyle Blackweir received the ball and like a knife through butter glided through a stout defence for the touchdown. The conversion taken by Ruairdhi Fallon fell just short and wide but a gallant attempt none the less as the ball was a good distance from the posts.

 From the re-start Mullingar came back  strong and with a surge to the Buccs line almost got over but the ball was knocked on due to pressure from Ronan Flanaghan and Martin. From the scrum Buccs did enough to drive the ball back, unfortunately the ball came back to quickly and the Mullingar flanker was on hand to touchdown for a good try against the run of play.

 Bucc’s were on top again from the restart and sensed an opportunity to run the back line as often as possible, Gavin Daly, Natanial O’Neill and Full back Fionnan Henry had excellent hands all day and again managed to set Burke free on the wing, a good line was taking the ball wide and with speed, this allowed the forwards to link up with the backs as the ball came back, again the Bucc’s scrumhalf was on hand to show slight of foot and create another chance for Kyle Blackweir to get over for his second try, this time closer to the posts and a perfectly placed conversion saw Bucc’s 12-5 ahead at the break.

 The second half was even more intense players such as Shane Finnerty, Deema Feehan, Anthony Connolly and Brandon Green were tireless in their efforts to control the ball in Bucc’s favour. Tom Shine on the left wing proved the faith of the coaching staff and is certainly a player to watch out for. Unfortunately Fionnan misplaced his gum shield and had to be taken off for safety reasons, but this gave opportunities for Mikey Turner and Conor Waters to come on and prove that strength in debt is crucial at this level.

 The third try was not long in coming a great ball out to Ruaidhr Fallon and was perfectly converted by the fly half who made up for his first miss with a ball from roughly the same distance. Mullingar came back for their 2nd try and a quick drop goal conversion but unfortunately for them it was but a consolation, as the referee’s full time whistle was blown as the flags went up.


 Final Score Mullingar 12, Buccaneers 19



Buccaneers U13 v Sligo – Sunday November 9th, 2014

  Sunday saw the Buccaneers U13’s travel in style to the scenic Sligo RFC situated at the foot of the majestic Knocknare mountain, opposite the world famous surf beach of Strandhill with Rosses Point and the impressive table top mountain of Benbulben in the distance.

  Conceivably, it was the distraction of the beautiful scenery that the young Buccs forfeited two try’s and offered an early lead to Sligo.  Perchance, realizing their impending doom “  Cast a cold Eye, On Life, on Death. Horseman, pass by!” Nataniel O’ Neill did a Rob Kearney while running full speed received a perfect pass from Ben O’ Carroll, evaded 3 tackles and scored under the posts bringing the tally back to 10-5 at half time.

Unfortunately the second half started no better than the first and the young Pirates, possibly distracted the by the low flying aircraft into Sligo Airport and home to the Irish Coastguard Rescue Helicopter not only allowed Sligo to slip through their defences and score another two try’s.  But had two tries by Ronan Hanly and Deema Feehan disallowed for apparently going into touch much to the disappointment and heartache of the visitors.

  Feeling hard done by, the young Buccs showed what they were made of and upped the ante.  With great support play by Shane and Kyle Blackweir, Ben Tommy Bowe O’ Carroll with his usual speed and agility scored a try in the corner.  This was followed by yet another try by Nataniel O’ Neill and subsequently converted by Ruaidhr Fallon bringing the score back to a respectable 22-17.

Buccaneers were now on fire and had Sligo under pressure even with a forward the size of Peter O’ Mahony, were none the less going for the equalizer but the counter attack was left too late and the whistle blew ending the game 22-17 to Sligo.

 Although beaten on the day, everyone arrived home content after an enjoyable days rugby followed by a homely reception from Sligo RFC with coaches Paul Fogarty and Paul Hamilton.

  Note, training as usual every Thursday 7-8.30 and Saturday 11-12.30.


U15's Black Team Triumph over local rivals Ballinasloe

Buccaneers Black Team v Ballinasloe away, Connacht League 6 Round, Saturday 10th January.

 Black Team 10, Ballinasloe 0.                                                                                                           Thomas O’ Neill

 On a cold and crisp January morning, Buccaneers Black team travelled to Ballinasloe to ensure a place in the Connacht League semi-final.  With a fresh westerly wind, this encounter was destined to be a hard slog for both teams where local pride and friendly rivalry would dominate.

 An early lead was gained by Fergus Galvin after the ball came out a ruck on the Ballinasloe 22m line where he fooled the opposition with a perfectly executed dummy pass and scored.  Unfortunately Tadgh Moody under difficult conditions just missing the conversion with the ball narrowly going outside the posts. Score Bucccs Black 5-Ballinasloe 0.

 The Young Pirates kept up the pressure in the first quarter with several incursions into the Ballinasloe 22m line and one too many scoring opportunities narrowly missed.  Tristin Buckley, Tadhg Moody, Rory Dempsey, Niel Clinton, Paddy Toland made great advances with Mathias O’ Neill help up over the line at the posts.  This was subsequently followed by a period of sustained attacks by Ballinasloe who made it into the Buccs 22 where exceptional tackling by Oisin Rock, Karl Doran and Joe Reidy kept them at bay and two exhausted teams welcomed the half time whistle. (Buccs 5:0)

 The second half began with the kick off by Buccaneers where the game ebbed and flowed with neither team dominating and handling errors on both sides and penalties awarded for careless play.  However, though out the second half, the Black team never appeared threatened with predictive play from Ballinasloe where the forwards repeatedly ran with the ball.  However, hard work and determination eventually paid off with 10 minutes to go when No 8 Mathias O’ Neill picked and ran from the back of the scrum, linked up with Paddy Toland who passed out wide to substitute Adam Murtagh scoring comfortable in the corner.  Unfortunately Adam was unable to convert his own try with a strong cross wind and difficult angle bringing the score to Buccs 10, Ballinasloe 0.

 The remainder of the second half was uneventful with neither team dominating but with committed play by both sides and Ballinasloe wishing to put scores on the board in front of a supportive home crowd.  However gallant their effort was, it came to no avail and the game ended after a penalty was awarded against Ballinasloe for not releasing in their own 22 and Mathias O’ Neill subsequently kicked the ball into touch to the delight of team and mentors John Doyle, Paul Byrne and David Dunning

 Buccaneers Black team having played 6 league games so far against stiff opposition like Ballina, Corinthians, Galwegians and Sligo are due to play Westport next week but already qualify to go through the Connacht league semi-final against Corinthians, last year’s finalists!  The very best of luck to them and their team mates Buccaneers Yellow Team who also to go through to the Connacht league semi-finals and will play Ballina.

 Team – Karl Doran, Darren Browne, Joe Reidy, John Costello, Robert Lowe, Oisin Rock, Fergus Galvin, Mathias O’ Neill, Roan Byrne, Tadhg Moody, Tristin Buckley, Paddy Toland, Rory Dempsey, Hugh Mitchell, Niel Clinton, Subs – Ruari Smith replaced Roan Byrne, Liam Doyle replaced Robert Lowe, Adam Murtagh replaced Hugh Mitchell and Cian Daly for Joe Reidy


Buccaneer’s Titans go head to head

U15’s Buccaneers Yellow Vs Buccaneers Black, Connacht League Round 3                       by Brian Tallon

Round 3 of the Connacht U15 League 1st Division saw a unique match hosted last Monday night under lights on the main pitch in all its glory to a crowd that almost rivalled an A.I.L game. The occasion was historic for the club as Buccaneers have never fielded 2 “A” teams at any youth level before. It was the match up that all in the club were eagerly awaiting- The Buccaneers Yellow’s versus the Buccaneer’s Black team, and both teams delivered on their promise of great rugby.

No quarter was given anywhere on the field of play from 2 teams that train together every other week. It was Yellow’s who came out of the blocks quicker after kick off and they drove the Black team back into their own half and looked the quicker and hungrier of the 2 sides. The initial pressure paid off after 8 minutes when Black’s were pinged for going offside and John Tumelty got Yellow’s on the score board with 3 points when he slotted over his penalty from just outside the 22. Tighthead Cathal “Mossey” O’Grady was causing Blacks all sorts of problems upsetting 3 rucks in the first half with his aggressive counter rucking, but as the half wore on both sides were becoming more evenly matched as Black’s got more possession and got up to speed with the game. Black’s looked set to score their first try as Tadgh Moody at 10 sucked in his defender to give a quality offload to Tristan Buckley who put in a weighted kick over the top from about 30 metres out to chase the ball over the try line in a footrace with John Tumelty, but Tumelty was first to get to the ball and deny Black’s their first score when he touched down for a 22 drop out. Blacks were back again in the Yellow’s half moments later and a penalty for offside gave them another scoring opportunity, but Tadgh Moody’s kick pulled just short of the post to leave Yellow’s still in the lead. Yellow’s were to loose Cathal O’Grady on the 20 minute mark when he had to leave the field of play with a knock to his knee and they had to rearrange their formation as Keelan Connolly came in to 2nd row and Mark Tallon moved into Flanker to allow James Finlass take over from Mossey in the front row. The change unsettled the Yellow’s and allowed Black’s to assert themselves leading to a quick ball to Rory Dempsey on the left wing, and with no cover he looked sure to score in the corner, but he was denied by full back John Tumelty as he came to Yellow’s rescue again with a diving cover tackle that forced Rory to knock on the ball. Yellow’s looked out of danger as they drove up towards half way, but Black’s turned over the ball at the breakdown and drove Yellow’s back to their own 5 metre line where Yellow’s conceded a scrum. Mathias O’Neill at 8, collected off the scrum as the ball came out and drove over the line to touch down for Black’s opening score and to give them the lead at 5-3. The half finished out after Neil Clinton narrowly missed his conversion kick with Black’s on top and with a narrow lead.

Cathal “Mossey” O’Grady came back into the fray for the start of the 2nd half but couldn’t help Yellows get back in control of the game as Black’s continued to compete better at the breakdown and Liam Winnett at 8 was kept from breaking the line as he’s characteristically known for.   Blacks dominance paid off after 10 minutes of pressure as they got inside Yellow’s 22 and exploited a break in Yellow’s defence to see Oisin Rock at center get over for Black’s 2nd try, another missed conversion this time by Rory Dempsey left the score 10-3 in favour of Black’s. Yellow’s started to reassert themselves and Black’s indiscipline for several offside penalties brought Yellow’s back into contention when Dara Mulvihill at centre crashed through to ground the ball just outside the post and John Tumelty’s successful conversion brought the sides level at 10-10 with 9 minutes left to play. Black’s came back at Yellows for the next series of plays as they recycled the ball and kept Yellow’s confined to their own half. With less than 2 minutes left a clearance kick by Yellow’s gave a lineout to Black’s 10 metres out and Black’s drove at the line held back by fearless defence from Yellow’s. Black’s Roan Byrne took the ball off the base of the ruck in the corner and dived for the line only to be tackled into touch by Cameron Digan to deny him the match winning try, both players exemplifying the commitment of both sides to winning. Yellow’s were the more relieved of the 2 sides when after a Black knock on after the restart referee Dave Connolly blew for full time and the match finished out a draw.

On reflection both sides can be delighted with their performance with Yellow’s showing the stronger running game and solid defence and Black’s the better rucking and set piece play, so a draw was a very fair reflection of the contest and a fitting outcome on such a great night of entertaining quality rugby.

As with all epic encounters, great credit and pride should be savoured by each of the 35 players who played to the best of their ability and none found wanting.  The decision to field 2 “A” teams has shown to be a wise one where mentors, John Doyle, Paul Byrne, Dave Dunning and Tony Ennis have made outstanding progress with this fine group of men.


Final Score Buccaneers Yellow 10- Buccaneers Black 10

Buccaneers Yellow;     1 Carl Doran, 2. Darren Browne (C), 3. Cathal O Grady 4. Mark Tallon 5. Jason Conway,  6. James Finlass 7. Conor Rohan, 8. Liam Winnet  9. Shane Coughlan 10. Ciaran Sugrue, 11. Cameron Digan,  12. Darragh Mulvihill, 13. Daniel Ennis, 14. Chad Quinn 15. John Tumelty & Subs- Keelan Connlly (for 1 & 7), Xavier Gomez (for 14).

Buccaneers Black; 1. James Downes, 2. Paddy Ryan, 3. Cian Daly, 4. Oisin Rock, 5. Robert Lowe, 6. Liam Doyle (C), 7. Fergus Galvin, 8. Mathias O’Neill, 9. Roan Byrne, 10. Tadgh Moody, 11. Conor McCready, 12. Paddy Toland, 13. Rory Dempsey, 14. Neil Clinton, 15. Tristan Buckley –Subs- John Costello (for 5), Joe Reidy ( for 3), Dylan Cunningham (for 11)


Buccaneers’s Win the West

U15 Yellow v Westport Connacht League Round 4 1st Division (Buccaneers Yellow 68 – Westport 7) - Brian Tallon

Buccaneers travelled to Westport playing with the wind in the first half with devastating effect against an under strength Westport team who suffered a demoralising defeat by the Midlanders.

 Five minutes in Darragh Mulvihill with support from Captain Darren Browne scored a try from the base of a ruck and Shane Coughlan successfully kicked the first of 9 conversions!

 Minutes later No 8 Liam Winnet crashed through several tackles and scored a try after receiving the ball from winger Rory Smith who caught the ball after the restart, 14-0.

 Once again after the restart, the dynamic John Tumelty at full back scored the first of his 5 try tally starting from the centre of the field breaking through a scattered Westport defence where Shane missed his only conversion out of 9 attempts.

The Pirates continued to dominate the first half crossing the line another 4 times with 2 more tries from Tumelty, another from Winnet and new team member Jason Conway at No 5 getting his debut try where Shane not missing the posts once.

This young Bucs team kept up the pressure in the second half this time against the wind where again big No. 8 Winnet crashed through under the posts for a hat-trick and Tumelty after the restart with assistance from flanker James Finlass and Cameron Digan from inside his own half went on to score the last try of the game.

Westport got a consolation try when a clearing kick by outhalf Ciaran Sugrue was held up in the wind and Westport drove over just inside the left corner flag followed by a successful conversion. 

Buccaneers U13 Yellow team were impressive in mixing up play and running through Westport’s defence with big breaks by Daniel Ennis and James Finlass, but crucially every ball was protected with crucial support play at the breakdown by the pack from Cathal O’Grady, Mark Tallon, Carl Doran, Jason Conway, Conor Rohan, and Darren Browne.

Final Score Buccaneers Yellow 68- Westport 7

Buccaneers Yellow;     1 Carl Doran, 2. Darren Browne (C), 3. Cathal O Grady 4. Mark Tallon 5. Jason Conway,  6. James Finlass 7. Conor Rohan, 8. Liam Winnet  9. Shane Coughlan 10. Ciaran Sugrue, 11. Cameron Digan,  12. Darragh Mulvihill,  13. Daniel Ennis, 14. Rory Smith 15. John Tumelty & Subs- Keelan Connlley (for  7), Liam Doyle (for 8), Roan Byrne (for 13).

 NOTE - Congratulations to the U15 Black team who earned themselves a place in the Connacht Division 1 league semi-final where they defeated a very large, strong and talented Galwegians team.  Played in cold and wintery conditions at home on Buccaneers main pitch(due to ice on the side pitch) and a score of just 17-10, it was bruising, close fought encounter with tries by Tadhg Moody who received a pass from Roan Byrne, Mathias O’ Neill with a pick and go from the ruck and Patrick Toland who broke through the Galwegian defence with Tadhg scoring one of three conversions.