Match Reports category listing 3 | Buccaneers Rugby Football Club Athlone

. . . . .

Galwegians 15, Buccaneers 12 - U16's

Courageous and Spirited preformance by Buccaneers U16 Buccaneers U16s put in a tremendous performance against League leaders Galwegians in a wind swept Dubarry Park. Buccaneers started off playing against the wind and conceded a try early on,however they rallied and a trendous driving maul resulted in Darren Tuohy crossing for a great try. Buccs went in at half-time trailing 10-5 but had the strong wind in the second half.Galwegians kept control of the ball for long periods at the start of the second half,bur persistent pressure by Buccs resulted in a great score by No 8 James Kelly which was converted by Michael Hanley. Despite great pressure from Buccaneers in the final quarter,Galwegians held on for a slim 15-12 victory . Best for Buccaneers in the forwards were Darren Tuohy and James Kelly,while in the backs Michael Hanley,Niall Murray and Shea Henry stood out.

Buccs: Artio Obono,Darren Tuohy Captain,Robert Slevin.Ted Brosnan,Eoghan Kenny,Adam Murray,Aaron O' Reilly,James Kelly,Max Feehan,Michael Hanley,Mel Mullooley,Niall Murray,Donnacha Gately,Anthony Lynch and Shea Henry. Replacements:Patrick Henry,David Gavin and Jack Nolan



Round 3 of the Connacht U-15 League First Division witnessed a unique match hosted under floodlights on the main pitch at Dubarry Park in all its glory in front of a crowd that rivalled AIL attendance. The occasion was historic for the club as Buccaneers have never fielded two "A" teams at any youth level previously. It was a match-up that all in the club were eagerlay awaiting --- BUCCANEERS BLACKS v BUCCANEERS YELLOWS --- and both teams delivered on their promise of great rugby in a thrilling 10-10 draw.

No quarter was given anywhere on the field of play from two teams that train together every other week. The Yellows came quicker out of the blocks, looking hungrier and driving The Blacks back into their own half. This initial pressure paid off swiftly when the Blacks were pinged for offside and John Tumulty opened the Yellows account with a penalty from just outside the 22.

Tighthead Cathal "Mossy" O'Grady was causing Blacks all sorts of problems, upsetting three rucks in the first half with his aggressive counter rucking. As the half progressed, the exchanges became more evenly matched as Blacks secured more possession and got up to speed with the game. Blacks looked set to score a try as Tadhg Moody sucked in a defender to give a quality offload to Tristan Buckley who put in a weighted kick over the top from about 30 metres. However, Tumulty just managed to outrun him in the chase to touchdown. Moody then had a penalty opportunity but his kick pulled short of the upright.

Yellows had to rearrange their pack when they lost O'Grady to injury with Keelan Connolly coming in to the second row and Mark Tallon switching to flanker to allow James Finlass move to the front row. The switches disrupted them and Blacks seized the chance to assert themselves with quick ball to Rory Dempsey on the left wing who looked sure to score but was denied by Tumulty's diving tackle that forced a knock-on. Yellows looked out of danger when they drove towards half-way but Blacks turned the ball over at the breakdown to surge forward and force a five-metre scrum. Mathias O'Neill at No.8 collected off the scrum and drove over to touch down for Blacks opening try. With Neil Clinton narrowly missing the conversion, Blacks held a 5-3 halftime lead. 

Although O'Grady returned to the fray on the restart, Blacks continued to compete better at the breakdown denying Liam Winnett from making the breaks he is characteristically known for. Blacks domination at this period was rewarded when Oisin Rock got over for their second try, with Dempsey on this occasion unable to convert.

But Yellows reasserted themselves, helped by Blacks indiscipline that enabled their opponents gain precious territory. Dara Mulvihill finished off good pressure to crash over for a try near the posts with Tumulty's conversion levellling the scores 10-10 with nine minutes remaining. 

Blacks enjoyed the better of the exchanges in the closing minutes and, two minutes from time, Roan Byrne took the ball off the base of a ruck in the corner and dived for the line only to be tackled into touch by Yellows Cameron Digan to deny him a match-winning try, both players exemplifying the commitment of the two teams to winning. Yellows were the more relieved side when, following a Blacks knock-on after the restart, referee Dave Connolly blew the full-time whistle.

Both squads can be delighted with their performances. Yellows showed the stronger running game and solid defence while Blacks had better rucking and set-piece play. Overall, a draw was a very fair reflection of the contest and a fitting outcome on such a wonderful night of entertaining quality rugby. 

As with all epic encounters, great credit and pride should be savoured by each of the 35 players who participated to the best of their ability. None were found wanting. The bold decision to field two "A" teams has shown to be a wise one where mentors John Doyle, Paul Byrne, David Dunning and Tony Ennis have made significant progress with this fine group of upcoming players. 

BUCCANEERS YELLOW:- John Tumulty; Chad Quinn, Daniel Ennis, Darragh Mulvihill, Cameron Digan; Ciaran Sugrue, Shane Coughlan; Carl Doran, Darren Browne (captain), Cathal O'Grady; Mark Tallon, Jason Conway; James Finlass, Conor Rohan and Liam Winnett. Replacements used:- Keelan Connolly and Xavier Gomez.

BUCCANEERS BLACK:-  Tristan Buckley; Neil Clinton, Rory Dempsey, Paddy Toland, Conor McCready; Tadhg Moody, Roan Byrne; James Downes, Paddy Ryan, Cian Daly; Oisin Rock, Robert Lowe; Liam Doyle (captain), Fergus Galvin and Mathias O'Neill. Replacements used:- John Costello, Joe Reidy and Dylan Cunningham.

REFEREE:- David Connolly (IRFU).